As any good college student knows, one of the best things about college is that free food is literally everywhere. It’s the number one lure for getting people to leave their rooms or go to club events, and Rice is obviously no exception. There are literally so many places to get free food on campus. Here are a couple of my favorites:
- RPC Night Bites: The RPC is the Rice Program Council, and they plan a whole slew of events throughout the school year to keep you entertained. One of their signature events is Night Bites, which is literally just free food. All you have to do is show that you’ve liked the RPC social media pages, and you’re set! In the past there have been Tiff’s Treats, Taco Bell, and more. A word of advice: there tends to be a crazy long line for these events. Arrive either a few minutes early or 30 minutes afterwards when the line is shorter – don’t worry, they have so much food that they won’t run out.
- Club Meetings and Events: Every single club knows that the best way to get people to come their events is to have free food. It’s also a great way to find out about organizations that might interest you! There are also seminars held frequently throughout the school year that will offer dinner as well. However, don’t count on club meeting food to act as a stand in for a meal. They’re usually small snacks, since clubs have budgets and can’t afford to give everyone a full meal.
- Center for Career Development: The career center is definitely somewhere that you should be going to often! As well as getting career advice, they also host lots of workshops during lunch hours, such as LinkedIn workshops, resume workshops, and all sorts of other helpful advice. There’s usually free pizza at these workshops, so it’s a great two-in-one: get free food and get career advice!
- Boba: Rice students love boba! So much so, we literally have free boba multiple times a week. East-West Tea, a student-run boba shop, offers free boba at each servery once per week. They’re usually really generous too – the cups are filled to the brim with tea. Plus, they usually have a selection between three types of tea and as well as either lychee jelly or boba. It can’t get better than that!
- Beer Bike: Free food. EVERYWHERE. It’s basically a giant party! If you stay until the end of the bike races, they will literally start giving out all their leftover food. Last year, I walked away with 3 whole cheese pizzas.
This is by no means a comprehensive list. There’s definitely way more places to get free food than just what I’ve listed. We even have a Facebook group dedicated to telling people where there’s free food. Once you get to Rice, you’ll realize that there’s a lot to offer, especially when it comes to food!